Monday, March 20, 2006

Wally Bursey (aka Wallace)

Wallace Bursey was a professor at Memorial University in St. John's Newfoundland and my grandmother's (Hilda's) brother. He was also an author and wrote books such as Seasons of Silver Thaw and No Right of Spring.

Wally's son Brian is a wonderful Newfoundland photographer who has numerous books, calendars, etc.  I believe Brian's wife Marilyn also wrote a book.


Wally and sister Mary

Wally

Wallace with wife Marion Bursey
Wallace Bursey
Myrtle, Wally and his sister Mary (right)
Wally and sister Mary

Bill Loder and Marion Bursey

I am not 100% certain, but I think this is Wally, Marion and Brian.
Wally is front right with brother Stan behind him. Father John in middle. Little sister Mary in front. John's sister Mary in back left and their Mom, Matilda Bursey (nee Pike) in back. I am not certain who is in the back right. It could be Hilda or Vera with an unknown man.

Bill Loder and wife Hilda on left, Marion and husband Wally on right.


Norma Loder and Brian Bursey

Wallace Bursey







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wish I could have had the opportunity to meet some of Nan's brothers and sisters. I did get to meet lots of other family members though when they would pass through Saint John.

It is too bad we didn't grow up in Newfoundland. Something tells me I really would have loved it. It is such a beautiful place and everyone is so nice.

I used to work for an airline and I always hated calling people at 4:00 am to tell them their morning flight had been cancelled due to bad weather. I was always prepared to get an earful, but not when I called Newfoundland. If anyone got upset at me then I knew they were just visiting and not locals. Most times the real Newfoundlanders would just say something funny, joke a bit about the bad weather and then thank me for calling.

I am not saying everyone from Newfoundland is a saint or anything. I had a friend growing up who was from Newfoundland but she was such a back handed, two faced, mean spirited person. Not nice at all. Really. Oh, don't want to take that trip down bad memory lane again....better move on...lol.

But in general, I would have to say as a collective, Newfoundlanders are some of the nicest, easiest going people anyone could ever meet!! I am always proud to say that my family is from Newfoundland!

Maybe some day I will get the chance to go for a visit and see where my grandmother and grandfather grew up in Old Perlican and Hillview. Until then, I will keep dreaming....

David said...

Hi Jen,

I own the family property in Old Perlican. You are always welcome to go and see the place. I hope I'll get to meet you and your family sometime. The photos you've posted here are like a trreasure to me; I've never seen many of them. Today (Nov 18) would've been my father's (Stan Bursey) 94th birthday. He's been gone for 14 years now, but this blog site puts me that much closer to him.

I grew up in Old Perlican and later went to university and college in St John's, but I've been in the Toronto area now for the past 20 years. My cousin Melvin Brookings (Vera's son) still lives next to my property in Old Perlican and I was lucky enough to get re-aquainted with him this past summer. He's 69 and still in great shape. I'lll send you some more photos when I get them scanned.

- David Bursey
Aurora, ON