Friday, March 17, 2006

In the Beginning

It all began with Frederick Bursey (1826-1881) and Rachel Young. They had three children, William James (1854-1918), Simeon (1856-1935), and Victoria (1858-1861). I believe they originated in Old Perlican, Newfoundland.

William James Bursey then had his own family. He married Matilda Pike (1859-1944) and they had Frederick (1881-1950), Mary Ann (1884-1964), John (1886-1950), Victoria (1888-1893), Elisha (1889-1976), Hannah (1892-1893), William James (1894-1955) and Reuben (1897-1965).

I am a decendant of John who married Julia Poppea Strickland (1889-1927). They are my great-grand parents. I believe Julia is from La Poile in Newfoundland, but I am still working on this.

Thank you to Bruce Bursey for filling in many of the dates you will see on this blog. I will add family stories, papers, letters and, of course, photos.

Please feel free to tell me if I have any information wrong or if you would like to add anything, that would be wonderful.


Here is John Bursey and his wife Julia:


John Bursey
Julia Bursey (nee Strickland)
John and Julia had my grandmother, Hilda. They also had Vera (L. Vera), Stan (Stanley J.), Fanny (Francis Matilda), Wally (Wallace), and Mary (Hawtense Mary). There is rumour that they had another child who was just a toddler when Julia died. I have heard that it was a boy and he died shortly after she passed away. If anyone can confirm this, please let me know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father (Stan Bursey) has told me of a young brother of his who died as an infant. Not sure - but I seem to recall him telling me the cause of death was tuberculosis.

Anonymous said...

Further to the above comment ... I recall that my father's brother who died was named 'Cyril'

- D. Bursey

Unknown said...

Frederick Bursey was my 4th great grandfather. I am trying to find as much information as possible. My 3rd great grandfather was his son Simeon (1856-1935) if you have any pictures or additional information I would love to see it :)

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I don't have any pics of Simeon but I am always on the hunt. :-)

Unknown said...

Do you mind telling me the info in your tree from Simeon to date?