Monday, March 27, 2017

Old Negatives - Who is this?

I found this old negative of a photo of a young woman. I recognize the background from other photos as the homestead where my Grandmother and her family grew up in Old Perlican, Newfoundland. The question is, who is this person? She is wearing a ring, but not on her wedding finger. Given the age, location, time frame (~1926), the ring and the face, I think this is my young Grandmother, Hilda Bursey. As I have never seen a photo of her as a teen or very young woman I can't say for certain. However, it does look like her. Also, her mother passed away when she was around this age. She was given her wedding ring then and wore it up until the day in the hospital when she was passing away with Cancer, when she gave it to me, about a week before her death. I would be uncommon back then for someone of this age in this area to wear a ring otherwise.

She looks very somber. Since she is wearing black and around the right age, it could even be a pic taken after her mother Julia's funeral.

If anyone sees this photo and can recognize it, please let me know.

The only photo that I know is my Grandmother that is even close to this age, is the pic below.

Hilda Bursey

No comments: