Saturday, December 17, 2011

England Bursey Theory

Thanks to George Smith for this exciting new info...

George believes (and I agree) that the England Burseys and North American Burseys all share the same distant ancestor of William Bursey born 1703 and his wife Mary Stevens.William was recorded as being a Tailor in the town of Christchurch, Dorset, England in 1746.

Here are photos of George's grandfather, George Bursey and one with his wife Catherine on their wedding day 1921. I have reposted a photo of Wallace Bursey from Old Perlican NF. George and I both think there is a strong resemblance. Post a comment or email me to let me know what you think. There are more photos of Wallace throughout the site.


Thanks George!
George and Catherine Bursey
George Bursey
Wallace (Wally) Bursey



8 comments:

FBurseyStockwood said...

I am very interested in the Burseys of Old Perlican and Lower Island Cove. My husband is from LIC and I've been working on a family tree now for a number of years. Just found your site and enjoying it tremendously.

Jen, Paul and Daisy said...

Thank you! Happy hunting!

Anonymous said...

I descend from Bursey's of LIC as well...Elizabeth Jane Bursey who married John Johnson Turner..both of LIC.

Unknown said...

Hopefully we can find the connection. :-)

Unknown said...

I'm just beginning genealogy research of my Bursey & Tilley lines. I'm descended from Elizabeth Bursey b. abt. 1789 in Old Perlican who married John The Scholar Tilley, the first J.P., who founded Shoal Harbour. The couple had moved there from Hant's Harbour. Elizabeth died in Shoal Hr. 29 July 1869. Information I've gleaned is of an ancestor Richard Bursey born abt 1650 in Fawley, Hampshire, England who married a Mary in Christchurch, Hampshire, England and had a son John (m. to Susana Janes). John & Mary had a son John born in Christchurch, Hampshire, England in 1714 who married an Ann Mitchell in Christchurch. John and Ann had a son Richard Bursey born 1752 in Christchurch who died in Old Perlican, Trinity Bay 16 Mar 1836. Richard had married Catherine Churchill, b. 1752. She died 04 June 1841 in Old Perlican. Richard and Catherine had five children: Richard, William, James, Elizabeth, and Joseph. Elizabeth Bursey is my 4x ggrandmother. Does anyone know of any of Elizabeth and Scholar John Tilley's descendants?

Joan Hotson said...

kjhotson@gmail.com

Joan Hotson said...

Previous comment was from Joan Hotson, kjhotson@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi. That is another lineage of this Bursey family. I think they are linked but it is quite far back.